Friday, July 08, 2011

Failing Social Life

I was told this past week that I need to blog more...so, as a summer goal, I will try :)

Just a warning: This may become more of a ranting post- Beware!

This is something that has been eating at me for a while, and tonight just caps it all off. I have always heard rumors, stereotypes, if you will, about Provo, UT. The great social life. The overactive dating scene. The great LDS culture. I have lived here for almost a year (11 and a half months) and I have seen none of this. I don't just mean very little, I mean NONE.

Social life: I have always thought of myself as a very social person...maybe my job in Logan spoiled me. I would like to think I have friends in Provo, but I am starting to wonder. Night after night, Holly and I plan activities, movie nights, car pools to Real games, etc. Very, very rarely does anyone other than the two of us show up! I am starting to think there is something wrong with me. I shower, I brush my teeth, I exercise...is there something repulsive about me that makes everyone turn and run in the other direction?

Dating life: If I had one I wouldn't have included it in this list, right? Now, you might say I could take it into my own hands, but the sad thing is, there is no one to ask! Once again, is there something repulsive about me that makes guys turn and run in the other direction?

Great LDS culture: People here think I am divorced because I am a single, LDS, college graduate. I am criticized and belittled for being a strong USU graduate that opposes BYU. Good example, huh?

If I didn't know with such strong certainty that I am supposed to be here it would be really easy to just pack up and leave.

Now that that is out of my system, I did have a fantastic trip to Logan this week. Just driving into the valley (through a canyon that "poops" me out) it gives me just that extra push I need. I love that valley. I love the people. I love the college. It was absolutely beautiful. There is still a LOT of water everywhere. I have never seen water in the lake bottom this time of year and there is still snow waiting to come down! They have 600 West closed because the river is overflowing. Second dam picnic area is covered in water...but everything is so green! I love it!

I got to have lunch with my bestest best friend. She may be married (for almost a year! I can't believe it) but she didn't turn into one of those "stupid married people." She probably knew I would kill her if she did. I am happy that she refers to Andrew by name and not "my husband." I am happy she still wants to be my bestest best friend even though I live in "zoobieville" now. I am happy I have a reason to have lunch with her still.

I got to go to the student center and see my aunt and cousin at SOAR. I remember the day I went to SOAR. I was nervous, excited, terrified, and absolutely in awe all at the same time. I am so excited for her and for my brother who are both starting out on the best adventure in life. Moving out on your own, meeting new people, finding yourself.

I got to see all my A-team family still left and a few extras. These people are like my USU family. As Lisa always says, "Once an A-teamer always an A-teamer." I wasn't sure what it would be like to walk back in but it was like every other SOAR day. I did feel out of place however, because I wasn't wearing my blue and khaki. I was also very impressed with the current A-team. They seemed like a great group of people and they assisted very aggressively. I had dinner with some of these A-team girls and felt like nothing had changed. Just a girls night out.

I am not ashamed to admit that I did cry a little driving home. I was very tempted to stay, but I knew if I did, I would never leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment