Thursday, March 06, 2014

Being "Miss Jensen"

My name is Jessica and I am a teacher-aholic. 

There I said it.

I once had a mentor teacher tell me the best thing I could learn early in my career is how to leave work at work and to save home for home. I feel like for the most part I have that down. Very rarely do I actually bring work home (grading papers, lesson plans, etc.) Every now and then I will but only when I know that it won't interfere with other things. 

However, as well as I do that, there is one thing that is harder for me. I may be able to leave the work at school, but I can't leave the teacher at school.

My friends often give me a hard time about using my "teacher voice" and "teacher look." Somehow all my conversations seem to come back to school or my kids. When I am with fellow teachers, we can't seem to stay away from school topics for very long. I can spend hours on Pinterest looking at nothing but school ideas. I actually enjoy teaching summer school.

And I am totally ok with that. That's who I am. Being a teacher is not a desk job. It's not a lock-the-door-and-walk-away job. It is engrained in every part of me. I view the world through "school-bus-yellow colored glasses." I love my job. 


My name is Jessica and I am Miss Jensen.

Sometimes I like to think I am a pretty cool teacher.
(I would have put a picture of my awesome kids right here but it's against the rules...)

No comments:

Post a Comment