Monday, June 24, 2013

True Beauty

I am sure many of you have seen Jessica Rey's video "The Evolution of the Swim Suit." (If not, you can watch it here.)  And then I read this blog post by To Every One That Believeth. (She talks about how it shouldn't matter what women wear as long as they feel comfortable and women should not be relied on to keep men's thoughts in the right place.)



I have thought about these two things all weekend. One I really agree with and one I really don't.

As I talk about modesty, I am going to veer off the specific topic of swimsuit modesty and talk about modesty in general.



I grew up being taught that dressing modestly is very important. The Church of Jesus Christ teaches that   "Immodest clothing is any clothing's that is tight, sheer, or revealing in any other manner. Young women should avoid short shorts and short skirts, shirts that do not cover the stomach, and clothing that does not cover the shoulders or is low-cut in the front or the back. Young men should also maintain modesty in their appearance. Young men and young women should be neat and clean and avoid being extreme or inappropriately casual in clothing, hairstyle, and behavior. They should choose appropriately modest apparel when participating in sports." (From the For Strength of Youth pamphlet under Dress and Appearance)

While Jessica Rey's video and presentation's ultimate purpose is to promote her swim line and products, I think she hits the nail right on the head.

While there is a small portion of modesty that is to help men keep their minds in the right place, that is only a very small part of it, at least to me.

Modesty isn't about how other people see me or what they see of me. 

Modesty is about how I see myself.

Modesty is knowing that I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father who created my body and is now entrusting me to take care of it.

Modesty is showing respect for myself and those around me by the way I dress.

Modesty is covering my body so the world can see my beauty from the inside out. 


Modesty doesn't mean I have to wear a high color, long sleeves, and a dress down to my ankles. I fully believe that anyone can show their own style, expression, and personality while still dressing modestly.



I want people to see THAT kind of beauty when they look at me. I want them to feel comfortable looking at me, really looking at me, and seeing who I am. Not what I am.





1 comment: