Friday, November 21, 2014

Thankfulness Day 2

This one might sound kind of funny, but I am thankful for politics. Many of you know that my dad's job is an elected position. He has been the Tooele County Auditor for the last 14 years. Because of changes at the county level, this year he decided to run for county treasurer.

The last 11 months have been very, very difficult for our family. It is not easy to watch someone you love be torn apart and ridiculed, knowing it is all a lie. Sometimes the hardest part for us was just keeping quiet. I was often amazed at how unkind and downright ruthless people get, especially when using social media.

How can I be thankful for all of this?

First, I am thankful I got the opportunity to watch my dad through it all. It was hard on him most of all, but never did I see him lower his standards to fight back. He was determined from day 1 to run a clean, honest campaign. And he did. He never lost his integrity throughout the entire thing. He treated everyone he met with respect and kindness.

Second, I am thankful the voters of Tooele County saw that. And they saw through the lies. The support we received from family members, ward members and neighbors, friends across the valley, and people we didn't even know was amazing. I personally got to meet and know so many wonderful people through all of this that I never would have met otherwise.

Third, I am thankful for all the clerk/auditors we have gotten to know over the last 14 years. We have had so many adventures traveling the state of Utah every summer for UAC conferences. These people have watched our family grow up. All of our adventures, from tours of dams and coal plants, shooting ranges and rafting the Colorado River to horrible concerts and strange dates in small town Utah that we still laugh about to this day, some of my favorite family memories come from these trips.

Last, I am thankful that my dad still has a job. I am thankful for the new adventures that will come with this new job and I am thankful for all the people we will get to know now.

No comments:

Post a Comment